Thursday, July 2, 2009

Barcelona

Well, I spent this past weekend in Barcelona, leaving on Friday morning and not getting back until Tuesday afternoon. I also had no checked baggage, yay! My carry-on was quite heavy, though, haha, consisting of my duffel bag crammed full of everything I needed plus my laptop.
Anyway, from the moment I got there to the moment I left it was VERY warm and sunny, just as you would expect from a beach metropolis like Barcelona. Something interesting, though, was the prevalence of Catalan. I knew that the regional language (Catalan, looks like something between Spanish and French) was used alongside Spanish, but what I didn't realize until I got there is that it is often used IN PLACE of Spanish. Of course, in the airport they had signs in Catalan, Spanish, and English, but around the city there were a number of times (most notably menus in restaurants) that even Spanish did not surface at all. It was very interesting to go to Spain as a Spanish major and not be able to understand the language being used half the time! (Granted, sometimes there was enough resemblance to Spanish for me to understand, but not always!)
Along the same lines of language observations, it was very interesting how apparent it became to me in Spain that I am much more comfortable with German, especially after living in Germany. Oddly enough, even though I of course KNEW I was in Spain, whenever I heard someone speaking a non-English language, my ears automatically listened for German first--the result being that sometimes I don't understand the first sentence said until I orient myself into Spanish mode, lol. Also, whenever I would pass a group of tourists speaking German I felt almost the same relaxing, comforting, at-home feeling as when I heard English--the mental sigh of "ah...something familiar in this foreign country..." Weird, huh?
Third linguistic observation: It is annoying how many people use English in tourist cities!!! And I'm not talking about the tourists. I am talking about the fact that I would walk into a shop and the salespeople would automatically use English with me! I personally found it frustrating, as a Spanish student looking to practice my Spanish, that they immediately presumed that I didn't have adequate Spanish skills. Furthermore, I could just as easily be German or Hungarian for all they know by looking at me; why jump to English? Honestly, I think it was primarily frustrating to me because I try very hard to be an inconspicuous and considerate tourist--I keep my camera put away when not using it, use the native language whenever I am able, and just generally try not to be obnoxious or get in the way--and this sort of assumption only caters to exactly the American stereotypes that I would like to debunk.
Okay, rant is over.

Finding my hostel was a bit of an adventure: in the directions they failed to mention that the hostel was located on the third floor of a building marked only by the large double-doors between the two halves of the Irish Pub, and that you need to buzz the office for them to let you in. But after getting that figured out all was well. And by well, I mean that the hostel was not all that I had hoped for, but was acceptable. The personal space around my bed was limited, especially as I was located on the bottom bunk in an odd nook of the room (nice in the semi-secluded nature, especially if I hung my towel like a curtain; not-so-nice in that I couldn't sit up and the path was often littered with other people's luggage). The security locker provided was big enough for my laptop (which was all that was REALLY valuable that wasn't carried with me all the time), which left my duffel bag under the bed (actually relatively safe considering said nook of the room meant that it was completely hidden under there). The only mirror available for us to use was the ONE above the sink in the bathroom (shared by at least 15 girls), and all towel/clothing hooks were located outside the shower stall (which made for some interesting arm-snaking around the shower-stall door in order to avoid being exposed while putting my towel out). As previously stated, it was on the third floor, which meant stairs (marble ones, but more about that later). Oh, and in typical European fashion there was no air-conditioning, only open windows. But aside from all this, it was quiet, the beds were reasonably comfortable, there was a refrigerator, and there was internet access, so it was acceptable--just not everything that my Hamburg hostel spoiled me with. ;)

On the first day, since I got there at about 1, I still had plenty of time for tourist-ing, so I generally walked around and explored, armed with my map. I did everything walking on this day. I saw the Placa de Catalunya (Placa = Plaza/Square), which for my purposes was the center of the city, saw the gothic Catedral (Cathedral), and went to the Arc de Triomf (surprisingly impressive).


I think this is the picture I have that comes closest to capturing the impressiveness of the Arc de Triomf. It is just massive, and the red brick is striking. Not to mention the long palm-lined avenue behind it...




Later that evening I went to the beach, but it was a little to cool for swimming (the water is actually quite cold! Nice on a hot day), so I just waded a little and watched the waves (and by waves I mean the little swells that made the water lap up onto the beach. With the various port fixtures and waterbreaks, these waves were nothing compared to the ones in Brazil, which could take you out. But this was nice in another way, in that you didn't have to always keep on your toes for fear of being mauled by a wave!)

Over the next couple days I saw La Sagrada Familia (Barcelona's most famous cathedral, most-visited attraction, and the as-of-yet incomplete work of the famous architect Gaudi). I didn't go in because the line was about an hour long and it was 11 euros just for admission (!), but I think seeing it from the outside was enough.












I also walked along the streets and saw various impressive buildings (some important, some not), including two more famous Gaudi buildings (if you haven't caught on, he's one of Barcelona's major claims to fame).
Some of Gaudi's most famous work is in Parc Guell, a park (originally built as a housing development!) up on a mountain. Not only is there some neat architecture and sculpture there (and Gaudi's own house), but when you get up to the higher points there are some fantastic views of the city. I would definately recommend going here if anyone ever goes to Barcelona. Here is Gaudi's Drac sculpture, one of the more recognizable features of the park.










Of course, I also went to the beach (twice). The first time (not counting my wading) I went to Barceloneta, which is kind of the main beach in the city. It was nice (of course, it's the beach!), but it was a little shocking that tops seem to be rather optional at the beaches in Barcelona! I mean, after the initial surprise it can be more-or-less ignored, but still... The sea floor was a bit rocky, and there was a rather crowded and touristy vibe, but it was nice to go swimming (in the Mediterranean!) and such.
The next time I went to Nova Icara, which I liked MUCH better. The topless ratio was slightly higher, but, like I said, that can be ignored (besides, that made it like 1 in 8, still rather outnumbered by those of us who choose to cover up). The sand was cleaner and finer, and the sea floor was not rocky at all. The water was a little clearer, and the overall vibe was quieter and less touristy. Also, the swells were so small that it almost felt like being in a giant swimming pool, haha! Anyway, that beach day was quite nice and rather relaxing. I think I actually got burned a little from being out in the sun so much!

While I enjoyed the trip very much, I definately got the feel that Barcelona is the type of city that is better enjoyed with others. I don't know what it is, maybe it's the playful beach/party vibe, maybe it's the weather, but I almost felt like I was missing some part of the city's soul by being there alone. Don't get me wrong, I had fun, but I just think it is worthwhile to note that I had that feeling, unlike when I was in Hamburg. I mean, it could be that I am getting more anxious to come home as it draws closer, but I actually do think that it is something about the city itself. Maybe there's some correlation between that and the stereotype that the Spanish are more open and affectionate than the Germans, and generally more people-persons.

I think I am learning that in these posts it is more important to note my reactions to places and situations than it is to list where I've been and load tons of pictures. Pictures can show me where I went and (for the most part) in what order, and I can show people pictures when I get back. It's the reactions that need to be noted before they fade. I will try to continue on that note, in the little time that I have left.

It's rather exhausting to think that after only 2 1/2 days back in Tubingen, I am heading off tomorrow afternoon for a weekend in Dresden, Germany! Whew! I think I will definately be ready for a break the weekend after!

No comments:

Post a Comment