Thursday, February 5, 2009

Schwäbisch Hall




The last two days, I have had the opportunity to walk around the city in the afternoon, eating lunch, shopping, learning my way around, and generally sightseeing. Schwäbisch Hall is an unbelievably beautiful city. It is literally like someone took a classic medieval German city and set it down in the present day, then added a few shop signs. It is absolutely incredible, and exactly what anyone pictures when thinking of Old Germany.
The streets are almost all cobblestone (hardly anyone drives besides buses), and they twist and wind around in a very medieval way (this being the old town center). There are two very old churches, one Catholic and one Protestant, both very beautiful, but I'm not sure if they hold services anymore.























This is the Goethe Institut, where I have classes. There is another building right next to it that looks just like it, which I'm not sure, but I think is another school.











This is an albino pigeon that I came across while wandering around the city. :)







The first lunch that I bought in the city consisted of a large coissant and a "Weltmeisterbrötchen" (a roll about the size of a softball covered in poppy seeds and sunflower seeds) that I bought at a bakery, and then "Fleischkäse" (a processed hot meat sort of like super-bologna but with a tang like salami, which I assume by the name has both meat and cheese in it) on a roll, which I bought at a butcher shop (they have little windows that serve food). All of it was really good.

Today, I tried a classic Turkish meal called a Döner Kebap (there are at least 3 Kebap houses, as they're called, in town), which is some sort of meat (I'm not sure what, but they shave it off of a giant rotating vertical spit) in pita bread with lettuce, onions, some sort of slaw, and a mayonnaise-like sauce (also with tomatoes, but I opted out). It was very good, though next time I will ask for no onions as well (I would have this time, but I couldn't tell them apart from the lettuce and slaw looking through the window). Those of you who know me, though, will be very proud: I ate the whole thing and only picked off maybe 5 onion slivers.
I also bought a Bible today! It's Martin Luther's translation, and it is all German (not a side-by-side). I had enough trouble trying to find a Bible, much less a side-by-side version! I found in in the bookstore across from the Institut for only 8 Euros!
More pictures of Schwäbisch Hall to come later; I have a historical tour today, so I'll be able to tell you all sorts of interesting things about the beautiful places we visit!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures! Your mom gave me your blog address and I will try to add this address to my rss feed reader. I have two very good friends who have been to Germany (one of them speaks German) and I will forward your blog to them. They might be able to give you some pointers or answer questions you might have. Cheers to you for putting one foot in front of the other on this amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete